SBI WARNING !!

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim Burke on April 04, 2005 at 09:02:17:

Be afraid, be very afraid!
For the last several years there has been very little kelp growing at SBI and the Brittle Stars had taken over.
This last weekend though, shows how quickly things can change. I was telling Kim about the kelp beds that used to be on the island and how as approaching from LA you had to kind of jog around the huge kelp beds and that now they were gone. Well…..guess what?? They’re BACK!!!
Brittle Star Reef is now coved with over an acre of kelp. There is a nice patch growing along the Arch. South East kelp bed is back, and several other smaller patches look to be making a come back near the Rookery.
Many divers came back on the boat and told me stories of sea life seen that they had not seen in years.
Over the last several years the Brittle Stars have had a ferocious appetite, and had taken over almost everything. They are now, for some reason going away, and guess what, the kelp is growing back.
I called Sonke, (Deputy director for F&G) and asked him if he had any ideas about this. We talked for about 2 hours trying to figure out something, and came to the only logical conclusion.
There is something very big, ugly, and probable very mean that is eating the Brittle Stars. So be very, very, careful on your next trip to SBI, you may see “IT”. F&G is also looking for a picture of “IT”

Captain Tim
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]