Another one for the portfolio; questions about Nikonos

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dick Analog on April 28, 2005 at 07:03:01:

In Reply to: Trip Report and Photos: Oil Rig Eureka on the Second Stage posted by Elaine on April 26, 2005 at 22:52:50:

The very last UW shot in the posted pics is something special – it has got to go into your portfolio! I wish I knew enough about invertebrates to be more specific, but it’s the shot with the red thingeys that have translucent, anemone-like appendages, surrounding a fan-shaped thingey with a feathery appearance, and a long, semi-transparent tube.

Based on your narrative it sounds as though you used your Nikonos for all dives that day. I’ve got a few questions about the Nikonos.

* Is it possible to change lenses underwater? – if so, do you sometimes?

* You mention that on the first dive you were you were using a close-up kit, and later say that you took macro shots: do you have an actual macro lens as well? I looked on-line at lenses for the Nikonos and it appears that Nikon just offer a series of lenses of increasing focal length; I couldn’t see a macro lens per-se.

* What is the focal length of the wide-angle lens you use?

* Do you actually look through the view finder, or do you just point for wide-angle shots and use a macro framer for the close-ups?

* Do you use an UW light meter, or do you generally run the camera in semi-Auto, aperture priority mode?

* Do you see used Nikonos Vs coming onto the market very often? (maybe people wanting to cash out and go digital?) At what price factor compared to a new camera body, and lenses?

* And finally, a non-Nikonos question: it appears as though you’ve really got your scanner dialed-in now. Anything new? At what dpi do you typically scan your slides?

Sorry about the long list of questions – it got longer the more I thought about it.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experiences with the rest of us!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]