Re: DM's. Do they help, or are they just a figure head?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scot M on May 02, 2005 at 09:18:21:

In Reply to: DM's. Do they help, or are they just a figure head? posted by Captain Tim on May 01, 2005 at 21:32:21:

As an active diver, I don't expect much from the DM on a boat. Unless, of course, something goes seriously wrong. In that case I expect them to recognize the situation and react quickly and appropriately. Short of a "situation", I'd like the DMs to be available, friendly, and generally hands-off.

In no case should a DM be condescending, arrogant, or inconsiderate to a diver, student, crew, or anyone else. That's something learned in kindergarten and something it applies to everyone, not just dive professionals.

I'm currently doing DM audits through Sport Chalet and trust me, nothing in the class suggested that the sort of thing described in the OP is acceptable. The question of freebies came up and the instructor was very clear that we were all paying our own way.

The OP doesn't say whether the two individuals refused to pay or may have just forgotten. I can't imagine why the instructor wouldn't have dealt with it if they forgot. If they refused, it sounds like they may need some remedial "Don't Be A Jerk" training.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]