Camera Thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on May 12, 2005 at 22:10:05:

In Reply to: Really great! + posted by Dick Analog on May 12, 2005 at 21:13:30:

Which camera did you use for your macro shots this time, and which camera for wide angle? Nikonos 35mm lens with the 1:2 framer or the 35mm lens with the close up kit for the macro/close up shots. The Nikonos 28mm lens is a little better optically, but the framers for macro are very short. My housed Nikon f100 with the 20mm lens for the wide angle.

Do you own the fabled 15mm lens for your Nikonos?

Yes, I own two of them. They take practice to use well, expecially at distances less than 3 feet due to parallax. The 15mm is an optical religious experience. I don't use them a lot lately because I'm lazy and it would take a couple of dive days to get the mechanics back down. .

If someone were to start from scratch and build a Nikonos-based UW system, what would your be your recommendation on strobes, lenses, macro/close-up accessories?

The Nikonos SB 105 strobe is a good all around strobe for macro and wide angle - it has TTL and lots of choices for manual power settings. It is a good place to start. If the strobes are much bigger than the 105's they are hard to use with the marco set up logistically. The Nikon SB 104 is a terrific strobe but it is bigger, as, is the 102. Many people like ikilite strobes (they are like a cult) but I've never used Ikilite. Sea and Sea stuff is good too and my wide angle strobes are S&S YS 120's (eight AA batteries a piece).

Per your suggestion I've been monitoring e-Bay for Nikonos gear and you're right - there seems to be quite a bit of Nikonos stuff coming onto the market. Buying used does seem a little scary, though. You just never know what you'll end up with. Any suggestions on what to look for & watch out for when considering used gear?

Look for never flooded, mint condition stuff. Nikonos camers are built tough and you want one in excellent condition to start with. Keep in mind that the weakest link on a Nikonos V is the strobe connection and that is the place most succeptable to a flood. If you buy a NicV and take care of it , it will last you for years and years. Annual service runs about 200$. I have bought all of my bodies and lenses new, but had pretty good luck with ebay strobes. Read the descriptions carefully and follow your instincts when it comes to ebay. You will probably also want some Ultralite arms as you can make adjustments for the flash units that will help you to get things "rig

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]