Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 04, 2005 at 15:50:26:

Date: June 4th
Dive Location: Christmas Tree Cove
Time: 12:30
Bottom Time: 48 minutes
Max Depth: 31 feet
Vis: 5-8'
Wave height: 2-3
Temp at depth: My computer was wonky! It read -9F. It wasn't quite that cold!
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments: I had only made one beach dive here since 1990, and that was in '96. This is one of my favorite places to dive, but I've been diving it from boats for 15 years now. This morning I woke up with brain damage, or maybe it was just a fluke that I decided to try Christmas Tree Cove again. The trail is one of the hardest in Palos Verdes to navigate in scuba gear. I used to snorkel here a lot before I was certified, and it's hard enough just carrying mask and fins.

I was looking at Aaron Simmons' site, and decided to try his method of ambient light digital photography. I'm happy with my initial results. With better vis and less surge, I might even get good at it. Well, at least better.
I stopped by Marineland first. The waves were moderate, but close together. I wanted to avoid surge so I could try to shoot closeups. Christmas Tree has smaller surf, so I gave it a shot. There are patches of red tide close to shore, leaving a foamy trail on the surface.

I swam to the outer edge of the cove and hung out with the fishes, including a 30" Calico bass that followed me around for ten minutes. Since it is the photo theme this week, I shot some Kellet's Whelks laying eggs.

I made an easy exit onto the slippery rocks and paused several times ascending the cliff. Although it is a workout and the conditions were marginal, I think I'll try this site more often. Or maybe I'll just check myself into an institution. :-)
Check out the link to the gallery. There are two pages, and I hope to get better next time. :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]