King Harbor - Down Under

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on June 05, 2005 at 10:39:32:

In Reply to: King Harbor posted by jlyle on June 04, 2005 at 19:54:14:

Jim,
At some point before you discovered Redondo, I was employed there as a deckhand for Redondo Sportfishing. I worked on many of the vessels - Voyager, C-Coaster, Sacramento (both barges), City of Redondo, and my usual boat, the Redondo Special. I remember fondly the great joy after spending the day loading bait, loading passengers, dropping and pulling anchors, removing errant anchovies from my hip-boots,untangling lines, removing the occassional hook from someone's anatomy, and carrying out the highly technical tasks of scrubbing puke, scales and blood from deck and rails, of throwing on my dive gear and slipping into the water to explore the lagoon, the short jetty, and sometimes during bug season even the main breakwater. Playing hide-n-seek with the harbor patrol was the spice of life.

One evening there was a white object visible under the edge of the dock where we tied up. Doing a quick dive, I recovered a filling station cash box - you remember when there was full service? Those boxes mounted at each line of pumps where the attendent could imprint a credit card or make change for the customer. Well apparently this box had been stolen the day before, and the harbor patrol/cops were interested in getting it back. However, the question came up as to how I had recovered the box since swimming and diving were prohibited in the harbor.

"Long gaff," I replied with a straight face.

Stay wet

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]