Re: Wave sweeps 2 fishermen to their deaths off PV

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on June 06, 2005 at 22:37:26:

In Reply to: Wave sweeps 2 fishermen to their deaths off PV posted by Max Bottomtime on June 06, 2005 at 15:10:30:

Yep. I does sound like Neptune. Even on calm days the surge moves 3-4 up and down the rock face in front of the large tidal pool. Big sets break over the wall into the tidal pool.

I have one particular memory of Neptune Cove burned into my brain. Don Sheppard and I were doing a night dive there along with several others (Jon Davies and/or Mark Termini?). All of us were in the water except for Don. For some reason he was delaying his entry for a few moments. All of a sudden a huge wave exploded over the rocks and I see the wave come alive with Don's dive light as he gets spun around like he's in one of those gyroscope rides at the fair. I head over in his direction thinking that some sort of rescue was in order. Luckily he already had his mask on, reg handy, and the water was very kind as it swept him around the rocks instead of into them. We laughed about if for weeks but it could have turned out very differently (as my nearly neck-breaking incident at Flat Rock taught me a few months later).

There's another story where Don took Ashley down to Neptune to check out the tide pool. Another killer wave came from nowhere and managed to get them both soaked. Falling back on his doctor skills of thinking clearly under pressure, Don tried to spin it as they were lucky to have such an amazing adventure! Maybe his skills were a little rusty because Ashley didn't equate being cold and wet and facing a huge hill climb as the type of adventure that she's interested inSmiley

Keep in mind that Don is one the best judges of surf and best divers at timing entries/exits that I've ever seen and Neptune has managed to sneak up on him twice! If the accident did happen at Neptune Cove, it is completely understandable to me. For the fishermen to have made it they would have had to survive the initial fall with no major injury, know how to swim, and make the right choice as to where to exit (NOT the face of the tidal pool where they were likely standing when it all started). Messing up on any of the 3 would be a death sentence.

Here's a pic of the tide pool at Neptune Cove

This is a pic looking North towards Christmas Tree Cove from Neptune Cove.

My heart goes out to their families.

Ross

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]