INSTRUCTORS PLEASE READ!!! DM's TOO!

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan on June 26, 2005 at 20:47:03:

Dear Scuba Instructors and DM's,

This is just a friendly reminder to check your students gear before they enter the water.

I observed a group of 6 OW students and one instructor (no DM) this morning. As one student was making their way across the sand, I noticed that their tank was slipping lower and lower, and lower.

As the group met up at the waters edge, I made my way over to the group. The Instructor was at that point wading into the surf to prepare his students surf entry. I politely asked the diver with the 'extremely' low tank if they were comfortable how the tank was seated and explained to them how I saw the tank slip as they made their way across the sand. I proceeded to assist the student in repositioning their tank. Two other students also needed their tanks repositioned as well. One student, didn't have their band threaded correctly.

I have personally witnessed a diver loose their tank and it's not a pretty site. In fact, it was quite scary, for the diver became panicked. Fortunately, there were several divers in the area to assist, and the fact that the diver was at the surface. It could have been alot worse, if the diver had been at depth. All in all, it could have been prevented.

I wonder what this instructor would have done if all three of his students had lost their tanks?

Ok, I have said my piece. Dive Safely

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]