It's not a matter of trust . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on August 11, 2000 at 13:49:57:

In Reply to: Re: I think you're wrong Jim . . . (MHK please read also) posted by MHK on August 11, 2000 at 13:04:10:

Mike:

It's not a matter of trust. The simple fact is, the idiots who would be the ones without the common sense to stay out of the depths of this wreck without proper training are going to be the same idiots who ignore your requirement for an OE certification. They're dead either way; what good has your requirement/policy/suggestion/regulation/rule done? If anything, its existence will merely serve as an opening for some new non-diving regulatory agency to step in and say, "Your policies are unenforceable, but their existence indicates that you all believe regulation is necessary - so we will make some ENFORCEABLE regulations." Then the next thing you know, we all have what you claim you don't want - externally regulated diving.

An unenforceable law is worse than no law at all. Even most legislative bodies in the world recognize that fact by now. The only possible method for enforcing or implementing your suggestions would be for all the commercial boat owners to agree to not take anyone out to the wreck who did not possess an OE cert, and that, IMHO, is simply overreacting to a problem that has yet to be proven to exist.

On that note, . . .I hope everyone has some good diving this weekend. I'm outa here till Mon.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]