Re: Beach entry/exit techniques in heavy surf--full or empty BC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on August 20, 2000 at 23:53:31:

In Reply to: Beach entry/exit techniques in heavy surf--full or empty BC? posted by Jusfer aka Eins on August 20, 2000 at 21:57:12:

J. aka E.:

Getting out in one piece is the most important thing, and there are a number of ways of acheiving this. But it comes down to two things: Finding out what works best for you (and your particular equipment configuration), and then getting out and practicing.

Of course, waiting for the lull in the sets is important, but very often on west or south west facing beaches of LA County, we get some nasty sets when the weather picks up. Instead of the typical "every seventh wave", it sometimes will be 14 or 21 waves before it is safe to exit. I've lost two mask to these types of conditions - when the wave breaks on top of you, your mask can get sucked right off your face unless you are holding on to it.

The best thing to do is get out there and practice in snorkelling gear.

The Rips, Rocks and Reef Program, sponsored jointly by the Greater Los Angeles Council of Divers and the L.A. County Underwater Instructors Association, does exactly that. Our recent class at Point Dume spent an hour and a half in the surf doing nothing but that. Our next class will be at Old Marineland in Palos Verdes on Saturday, September 9th, 8 am. Come on down and spend the morning with us, your confidence on entries and exits will increase significantly.

Personally, I prefer to be neutrally bouyant, backing out but facing seaward so I can watch for breaking waves, and be ready to dive underneath any breakers. This also makes it more difficult for your mask to get sucked off your face, but you do have to be carfeul with your fins.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]