Re: My turn/buddy vs. solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KEN kURTIS on September 01, 2000 at 10:53:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re; My turn/buddy vs. solo posted by Eins on September 01, 2000 at 07:57:59:

(Eins wrote) To look at your question more globally, what could solo divers do (that causes problems) that buddy divers don't do? I mean, this implies that solo divers do the opposite of what they should do: dive riskier. I don't know if this assumption is realistic.

I agree. In my personal opinion, solo diving in and of itself does nothing to increase the risks of the dive while you're diving. (However, I freely concede it greatly skews the equation if something goes wrong.)

One of the problems with many of the "new frontiers" that are explored in diving is that the first ones to do it are people who are generally highly skilled and qualified. Unfortunately many others put the cart before the horse and assume that if they do the same activity and survive, it must mean that they, too are just as highly skilled.

I think we're got a lot of divers in all areas of diving (rec, tech, rec-tech) who are skating on thin ice when it comes to a realistic assessment of their skill and their ability to successfully execute certain dive plans.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]