Re: What Makes a Good Buddy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on September 02, 2000 at 08:26:27:

In Reply to: What Makes a Good Buddy? posted by Ken Kurtis on September 02, 2000 at 00:53:32:

Getting ready for work, so it's going to be a quickie

A good buddy is...

...one who I don't constantly have to look after in order not to lose him. Like, in limited vis 15-20 ft), diving a rocky reef, the following diver may see the first go around a big rock but decides to stay and quickly follow another route--those two will lose each other.

...one who is interested in learning my specific gear setup (not fully DIR yet--and I appreciate the standardized gear setups for that reason) in case of an emergency.

...one who continuously monitors his and my air supply

...one who not only supports a dive plan but actively asks me what I want to do on this dive.

A bad buddy is...

...one who takes off on his own just after hitting the water, never looks back, attempts to win the Guinnes record for speed diving, never checks his air supply or even cares about mine, until he is down to nothing (and doesn't give me a chance to monitor his because he's always ahead of me)

...one who is insecure and constantly in my face and in my fins,

...one who can't keep neutral buoyancy and as a result keeps kicking up silt. At least, this buddy is easy to find if lost--just follow the silt track.

Gotta run for work

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]