What Makes a Good Buddy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 02, 2000 at 00:53:32:

Parellel thread to the personal criteria for solo diving (and one that Jim Hoffman will enjoy more) . . .

What do you think are the qualities of a "good" buddy? (And there are plenty of certified turkeys out there.)

I like to dive with people who share similar interests. For instance, I love to critter-hunt so I like diving with looky-loos. But I don't take/kill game so I will NOT dive with anyone who's hunting, either with a spear or even someone who's going for lobsters or scallops.

I like someone who's attentive to what's going on with me (and I try to do the same), who stays relatively close to me (10-20' is okay, depending on vis), someone who's skill level is such that I don't have to worry too much about them (although I regularly dive with divers of all levels), and - in a truly ideal world - someone who's air consumption matches or beats mine.

I also like someone who's excited about sitting down after the dive and reviewing what it was we saw and comparing notes about the enjoyment level of the dive.

Anyone else?

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]