Re: Education vs. experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on September 05, 2000 at 13:38:15:

In Reply to: Re: Wow, we can actually agree on something... posted by JRM on September 05, 2000 at 09:57:59:

JRM,
Thanks for your response and for bringing up that point. I understand you feel I was accusing divers of being bad, which was not my intention. I wanted to express that I think instructors are bad in that they certify divers who are not yet educated enough to be good (even for their novice status).

Buoyancy is not only taught in the classroom. Teaching this skill takes time, effort, and one-on-one attention in the water. An effort that not many instructors can or are willing to spend. Same goes for the other skills.

It may not even be the instructors alone but to a good part also the certifying agencies who reduce requirements for certification so the market can grow. But even with this background, an instructor is still free to do more than his agency requires.

I was lucky to have learned from such an instructor, and I felt I knew what I was doing from day one on (except for navigation). What certainly helped me was my over 10 years of snorkeling/free diving background, but the scuba skills were all new.

Again, it is not the divers fault to be inexperienced. It is the responsibility of the instructor to build these skills and either do a good job or maybe find another one.

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]