Do not confuse having an ADVANCED card with being an ADVANCED DIVER!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on September 10, 2000 at 12:35:49:

In Reply to: Re: Explain that to me, please posted by Randy on September 09, 2000 at 18:40:50:

They are not the same. Basic training in the use of scuba equipment is given in the Open Water course. Additional training, or 'advanced training' is provided by taking an advanced class. It is typical to try to get newbies to immediately take their advanced class upon completion of the open water class. This is because it provides some additional classroom time and supervised open water dives to better prepare the new diver for a safe, enjoyable future.

The advanced certification simply states that the diver has additional training. It does not say the diver is advanced in skills or experience.

Being an advanced diver is hard to define. I think it only comes with experience and maturity. The "dinosaurs" as they were called in earlier posts are the true advanced divers. Advanced in experience, skills and wisdom. If needing advice or a buddy, I'll take an old timer over the overly toilet trained young know-it-all. I think you can tell an advanced diver by their lack of having pat answers for every question. They will stop, think and then answer. They will consider many angles -- a capability that comes from their vantage point of many years of experience.

Wayne
DFF, JDF, and having a ball.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]