Re: Discount Divers/Price comparison

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 13, 2000 at 23:34:24:

In Reply to: Re: Discount Diver Supply reputation? posted by KZ on September 13, 2000 at 10:09:54:

(KZ wrote) Ken - I think the main reason I don't want to buy from a local dive shop is cost. I just did the figures and ordering on-line would save me $600 not including tax.

I'd be curious to see just what the price differences are. (Maybe you ARE getting gouged by the local guy.) So I'll make you an offer and we can either do it privately or publicly. E-mail me directly and I'll reply directly back. Post it here and I'll post my reply here.

Tell me what it is EXACTLY (mfg, model, size, etc.) that you looking to buy and give me the price your local shop is charging for the item, and the price the e-tialer is charging (and list the e-tailer as well if it's someone other than DDS).

Since Reef Seekers deals with just about every mfg (yes, it's a shameless plug for my store), I will reply with the MSRP and what we sell it for. Although I'm generally contractually prohibited from revealing dealer cost, I may be able to at least give you a sense of what the profit is in each case.

Anyhow, KZ, I'll leave the ball in your court.

As a local retailer, what irks me about most e-tailers is that they do nothing to enhance our sport.

They don't teach people how to dive, they don't do airfills, they don't give advice, they don't do service, they don't turn your reg around in a day because you're leaving tomorrow, they don't lend you their personal gear when they're out of stock on something, they don't do local trips, they don't do foregin trips, they don't do rentals, they don't speak at local groups, they don't organize local chaitable events, they don't do free "Discover Scuba" nights, they don't ask about your dive this past weekend, they don't always keep fully stocked on items, they don't think "bait-and-switch" is a BAD thing, they don't know that your wife broke her foot, and they don't know (or care) that your dog died.

They DO want your money.

And what they do is take the one area of the dive biz that offers the greatest profit margin, and that supports the other areas divers take for granted, and swoop in like predators with low-price offers. Is that YOUR fault? No. But it's a reality we all have to deal with.

And if they sell you something that's crap or soemthing you don't really need, or something that's not all it's cracked up to be, you'll still find a way to make it liveable for you. And because you spent, even at "discount" prices, a considerable sum on your gear, you'll get 5 years or more use out of it before you decide you've gotten your money's worth and will get something better.

My favorite e-tailer story is from years ago when a major e-tailer had a recall on one of their house-brand regs and sent a recall notice along with a poppet, a screwdriver, and instructions on how you should do the repair yourself.

It's not brain surgery, but it is life-support. And a "good" price is not always a good deal.

Anyhow, off the soapbox. Offer stands. I'll be away for the next four days but if you send me the info, I should have something for you by Monday evening.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]