Actually, some good ideas here...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on September 19, 2000 at 21:01:20:

In Reply to: Nice hypothetical questions.... posted by MHK on September 19, 2000 at 14:55:37:

needless to mention, that you copied them from me
(http://diver.net/bbs/messages/3063.shtml et al) but that's OK ;-)

Now, in response to seahunt and the original question, if I were king, I'd implement a simple credential card: a c-card with a chip that stores a short video of the holder performing some crucial diving procedures and the results of some concept tests that all prove how good a diver s/he is. It also carries not a FICA but a SCUBA score which quantifies the diver's experience. It is up to the diver to update his score if he thinks he progressed. This card can be checked by anyone: DM, MHK, a potential buddy, the SCUBA police, the Czar--oops, I mentioned him already, whoever has an interest to evaluate the diver's expertise. RSD can even issue points for croakies.

I think the powers that be should either let anyone dive the way he wants and don't bicker about this and that, or install a better qualifying system and instill some quality and education. Once a diver understands what he is doing and what the consequences are, he'll stop foolish practices by himself (or prove Darwin right).

Eins

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]