Nice hypothetical questions....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 19, 2000 at 14:55:37:

In Reply to: It seemed well enough balanced... posted by seahunt on September 19, 2000 at 14:31:37:

Good post seahunt.....

I'll chime in for my contribution to Scuba Tzar ( not to be confused with Czar which some well known poster on this board claims to be )

My rules would begin prior to actually getting in the water and would start with requiring better training. I would raise the standards and not lower them as many of the agencies are now doing. Then once that was accomplished many of the questions would become moot because the way I would train my students would be DIR style and they would no better.

But to play this out to its' conclusion, being the good Republican that I am ;-), I would let the market place determine the fines and punishments. Just like we rely on the skippers and the boats to *police* the taking of illegal game, I would rely on them to do the same in the buddy system capacity.

In terms of commercial -v- recreational I would not impose the same set of rules on recreational divers as I would on commercial diver's. The commercial marketplace will bear out the labor practices. Requiring the same standard for a paid professional employee would be too intrusive to impose on a recreational hobby.

It's nice to see thought provoking posts instead of the same tired old flame wars we have been seeing lately.

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]