Re: "Independent" diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Farmer on September 26, 2000 at 12:57:26:

In Reply to: Re: "Independent" diving posted by Ken Kurtis on September 25, 2000 at 22:22:25:

I can't argue that independent diving doesn't have its downside. Case in point: in July a gang of us were diving a shipwreck off Virginia Beach, Virginia in 80 fsw, all of us diving independently on the same wreck. Mid dive my pony bottle 2nd stage reg got tangled in a line that another diver had reeled out from the hook. The more I attempted to unsnag it the more it got snagged. I went for my knife, only to discover I'd neglected to strap it on. So I went for my back up knife attached to my DUI weight harness. As I was groping for it the diver with the line I was snagged in reeled up to me and untangled the reg. Now what if he hadn't appeared at that moment? I had plenty of air in my main, plus 40% EANx in my 40 cu ft pony. I feel confident that I would have found my backup knife and cut myself free. And if I didn't? I would have relaxed and very carefully untangled the reg. But if I determined that I was unable to unsnag and still have gas for a controlled ascent, I would have pulled the Pony Tamer pin out, removed the pony, made my ascent, and retrieved it on my next dive.
Given the attitudes and mind sets on this thread, I suppose you all will utter a collective, "Told you so, turkey!" and strengthen your arguements for buddy team diving and accuse me of old sea dog complaceny. I dive confident but definitely not complacent. Your turn...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]