Re: Rec Trimix (Triox)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sea Urchin on October 10, 2000 at 04:11:51:

In Reply to: Rec Trimix (Triox) posted by Jim Hoffmann on October 09, 2000 at 16:18:43:

Hi Jim
I am nitrox carded, and think it's great. The cost is a bit high for me. It seems that what started out to be fun in the 80's is becoming a money in the 00's. Now ypu add He and the tank now will be about $20.00 a pop. I don't have unlimited funds to spent on a sport so He is really out of the question. Nitrox is pushing it for me as it makes trip on the Peace from say $200.00 to $250.00 and that dosen't include tip for the crew--and they deserve the tip. So your looking a close to $300.00 for the 2-day trip with nitrox. That is just a little high for me on every trip.
I think safety is important, but how much is it worth? Not diving would take care of that issue, but that's not any fun.
I have to think of golf at this point. The tech stuff in clubs, and balls has come so very far in the last few years, but the scores haven't been going down that much it at all. If diving can relate to that with all the new advances in tech stuff, computers,mixed gases etc. then how come the number of deaths isn't going down? OK the number of divers is on the increase but so is the safety stuff. The numbers are getting mixed up her just like in golf.
These are just observations from someone that really likes diving but can't pay the bills anymore. I think the bottom lines is that safety is in the mind of the preson and not the equipment. If you have better tech stuff then you take more chances--right? Think yu can go deeper for longer. Well you can, but at what cost? One mistake, a simple one at that, and your dead. Theres no second guessing death.
Well I guess I had better get off my soapbox now.
Sea Urchin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]