Re: PADI Boycott!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on October 17, 2000 at 18:04:27:

In Reply to: PADI Boycott!!!!!!! posted by MHK on October 17, 2000 at 16:14:19:

Now, I hate to get in the middle of this as it's kind of an inflammatory discussion, but I don't think it's fair JUST to bag on PADI for this.

Here's the quote from NAUI as to what's required of a DM candidate:

Experience: Documentation of diving experience with a minimum of 25 logged open water dives. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth and activities.

So the 5 extra dives makes NAUI that much better??

True, NAUI prefers the candidate goes through their AI before DM, but the above level and passing a written test which is amazingly easy (I've taken it, trust me on this) is enough. Oh, the AI only takes 20 dives to enter.

FYI here's the full criteria to enter NAUI AI:

General. Meet the requirements applying to all Leadership courses. (See “Policies Applying to Leadership Courses.”)
Materials. (See current guide to NAUI membership.)
Diver Certification. Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.
Experience. Have at least 20 logged open water scuba dives. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth and activities.

Now here's PADI's full DM requirement:
To qualify for PADI Divemaster training, you'll need to:

1. Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent).
2. Be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver (or equivalent).
3. Have logged a minimum of 20 open water dives prior to entry into PADI Divemaster training, and completed and logged a minimum of 60 open water dives with experience in night, deep and navigation prior to certification as a PADI Divemaster.
4. Be at least 18 years old.
5. Be in good physical condition for diving and submit a medical exam form signed by a physician.

At least we should inform our debate with these facts; now, rip away.
Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]