Up-front consumer education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brianc on November 21, 2000 at 12:36:37:

In Reply to: What's wrong with dive industry economics? posted by Kendall Raine on November 21, 2000 at 10:24:02:

First, let me state that I agree that the cost of initial certification classes is too low overall. I also believe that some store owners do have some responsibility for this because they use class prices as their main competitive tool.
The low, and sometimes zero, compensation that instructors and DM's receive is scandalous. (I was asked last weekend if I was planning to become an instructor. I replied that I was not ready to declare bankruptcy.)

A factor that I have not seen discussed much is how potential students could differenciate the value of classes given by different shops. When I got my first cert. all that I knew was that I could do it in Key West for over $700 or in Boca Raton for under $200. Guess where I went? I just figured that the resort area shops where determined to take the tourists for all that they could get.

Does anyone have thoughts on how quality of instruction can be marketed (that dirty word again!)to potential new students so that it will appear as important a factor as cost? Hopefully such marketing would be positive and not based on portraying competitors as baby killers.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]