Get Serious...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on December 01, 2000 at 21:03:35:

In Reply to: Truk diver fatality: definitely solo posted by Eins on November 30, 2000 at 22:28:44:

I don't really care whether people dive solo or not. I don't recommend diving any particular way, except to have fun. Still, aren't you reaching a bit far. There are lots of other reasonable incidents to support your position and many closer to home, but this only supports one position - Against stupidity, the Gods themselves, contend in vain.
Just for the sake of arguement though, do you think that there is any way to protect stupid people from themselves? Should we really try? Somehow, I get the feeling that you have never adaquately experienced really stupid people or you would recognize this incident for what it was really about.
Further, since you got my attention, I'll object you using this as an example dissing solo. One nitwit dieing at extreme depth while doing a significant penetration, is no indictment of solo diving. It's just an indication of stupidity. The dive would have been stupid with a buddy. No?
Haven't you ever had a buddy that was far more dangerous than no buddy at all? Haven't you ever had a buddy that you knew couldn't help you in an emergency? Haven't you ever had a buddy that nothing short of a Secret Service retinue would ever be enough to protect? They are fairly common you know.
Why can't you guys ever seem to distinguish between sportdiving and extreme diving? Can't you distinguish dive practices from dive practicioners? I will assume that you cannot distinguish this rant about human sillinous from a pro-solo arguement, but it's my Friday, so I don't much care.
Enjoy your diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]