Re: Why "with the edge of your beam"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on December 13, 2000 at 23:53:40:

In Reply to: Why "with the edge of your beam"? posted by Eins on December 13, 2000 at 22:47:35:

i keep 'em distracted by the light source, but not terrorized by it. I just reach behind and grab.. no pinning. no nothing. The abdomen or thorax slips into the palm of my hand, with no loss of antennae or limbs, or anything. Its so simple, and so easy, it's not even sporting. If the bug is undersize, i can measure it on the spot, (assuming i'm not being tossed into the purple urchin-covered rocks by the surge) and if it's too small, i can just set it right back down where i found it, undamaged, and hopefully free to grow to a larger size, reproduce, and meet me for dinner some evening next year ; )

Now, that only works for naive bugs. Those who are wise to the ways of bubblemakers present a little more of a challenge. Those you do kind of need to blind temporarily, and then pin, jab, grab, hug or otherwise procure any way you can.

As for a really big one, say a 10 pounder, i don't know what all i'd do, but i do hope to find out some day soon!

I just finished a small one this evening. That butter sauce and garlic was ALLLL RIIIIGHT! i let the bug simmer a little too long though... it wasn't as tender as it could have been. Blame it on Al Gore's and George W's speeches, they had me distracted!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]