Re: Problem with NiTek3 computer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on December 14, 2000 at 09:54:56:

In Reply to: Problem with NiTek3 computer posted by AADIVER on December 12, 2000 at 23:28:15:

For anyone interested, here is my communication with DiveRite about my NiTek3 computer:

Frank,
I brought some salt mix in from home and set up some saltwater tests for your computer. I submerged your computer in a bin of saltwater for 24 hours. During this time I periodically took it out of the water.
After about 1 hour the computer came right out of dive mode into surface mode.
After about 4 hours, the computer stayed in Dive mode until I shook the water off.
After about 6 hours the computer didn't come out of dive mode with a shake but did when I dried the contact with a towel.
After 24 hours I took the computer out and tried the towel but that didn't work. I dunked the computer in a bowl of fresh water and it went into surface mode right away.

I then took the saltwater and put it in the testing tank. I brought the computer to about 120' feet for 5 minutes. Again the computer did not come out of dive mode right away. I gave the computer a quick rinse and it popped out of dive mode into surface mode.

I can see what you are saying about staying in dive mode. This is a characteristic of the wet contacts of the computer. The advantage of the wet contact is that you do not have to turn on the computer before diving. Care does need to be taken with the computer, though. Maybe a suggestion would be to bring your own bowl of freshwater for your computer. I'm guessing that the water in the camera tub is not real fresh and may have saltwater mixed in it. You should not need to soak your computer. I was able to bring it to surface mode with a quick rinse. Actually, with a short dive, you may find that wiping the computer with a towel will work. Let me know if you have any questions or other tests you want me to perform before in send your computer out. Thanks

Craig Levanduski
Craig@dive-rite.com
Dive Rite
117 W. Washington St.
Lake City, FL 32055
www.diverite.com
----- Original Message -----
To: Craig Levanduski
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 11:45 PM
Subject: My NiTek3

Hi from the guy with the NiTek3 that stays in Dive Mode after surfacing.
Per your instructions, I replaced the battery. Today after the first dive it stayed in Dive Mode for nearly an hour even after I flushed it with fresh water. After the second dive it stayed stuck in Dive Mode til I got home, three hours later. Then it beeped back to Surface Mode. Please advise. Thanks.

Frank Farmer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]