Re: Dual Tanks vs. Pony Bottle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on December 18, 2000 at 16:53:24:

In Reply to: Re: Dual Tanks vs. Pony Bottle posted by Randy Medaris on December 18, 2000 at 13:41:11:

In my experiences if you are not planning on penetrating you probably don't need doubles. However, that's not to say that if you are planning on gaining the experience necessary to penetrate that you shouldn't begin practicing with doubles. In my view, it's a good idea to practice this stuff shallow before you get going inot the deeper/OE stuff. All too many people rush through this important step by step process and don't properly realize the task loading that is involved.

As for ponies, I don't use them.. But anything that has any knid of metal to metal connection is a potential entaglement hazard in an OE.. We always have some form of cut away device on any of our connections.. Most of the time we are using cave line. By using this to the extent that we ever get key holed we can be cut out.. If it's metal to metal we're screwed..

It's important to match your gas with your mission.. Using double HP 120's for a 60' dive is probably over kill, except of course if you are doing the 60' dive as practice, than it would be appropriate.. You didn't used to often see guys with doubles on many commercial boats, but I see it more and more nowadays..

Build up and don't be in a hurry because it won't be to long before you start complaining about having to carry doubles ;-)

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]