Re: Ascent rate question for MHK and TLEEMAY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on December 20, 2000 at 11:22:40:

In Reply to: Re: Ascent rate question for MHK and TLEEMAY posted by Jeff on December 20, 2000 at 10:38:38:

Perhaps I'm not stating the position clearly enough.. It's not that I memorize a particular dive profile before I get into the water and then try to remember that I could do 60' for 40 minutes, or something of that nature inasmuch as we learn the theory with respect to M-values, tissue loading and have an appropriate understanding of allowable times at depth depending on our gas, depth etc... This is very useful when doing the deeper stuff, and in that regard we do in fact write our run times in our Wetnotes.. But for the purely enjoyable recreational dives that we do, even more so than the deep stuff, we learned the numbers..

Actually it is much easier than it sounds.. Next time you dive try to plan your dive in your head first, then review the tables and then only use your computer as a back up and see where you land.. Obviously, and I'll keep repeating it so it doesn't get lost in the discussions, we are not saying to do this without first gaining the requisite knowledge so by all means use the computer during the conversion process.. This simply can not be rushed and I wouldn't want anyone getting bent because they left the computer at the dock inasmuch as I'm trying to get people to look at their dives and not to use the computer as a replacement for the knowledge, but as an aide..

Hope that clears it up...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]