Re: Poseidon Regulators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on December 21, 2000 at 10:45:47:

In Reply to: Poseidon Regulators posted by Jim Hoffmann on December 20, 2000 at 17:45:29:

Jim;

Good post. Thanks. I have used Odins for seven years and, generally, have been happy with them. I have switched away from them recently, however, for several reasons you didn't mention:
1) The exhaust diaphram on the sencond stage requires a small screew driver to access. This is a problem if grit gets under the diaphram during a dive since it can't be fixed U/W the way a 250 or Apex can be. The result can range from mild wet breathing to serious impairment. For most O/W no-deco situations, this is remains a less serious flaw. In an OE environment, including the virtual OE of deco, this flaw is unacceptable.
2) The second stage requires a custom fitting-incorporating the OP relief valve. This is expensive to replace and won't fit any other regulator. Hence, a malfunctioning second can't be changed out U/W except for another Odin second. This is not true when using a traditional second.

Also, I have heard others complain the HP seat starts to degrade quite rapidly causing progressive IP creep soon after replacement. I've not had this problem, but I am aware the first stage has a spring, which is not part of the standard replacement kit, which wears out after a number of years resulting in IP creep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]