Some details from the crew...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on January 03, 2001 at 09:29:01:

In Reply to: Re: Yukon Death. posted by BENTMAN on January 02, 2001 at 07:21:19:

I was on the Blue Escape the day after the accident and the captain and Divemaster and I discuused the incident.

From what I was told by these two guys, it appears that they went down in a three man team. One of the team members had trouble with his tank about 6 minutes into the dive. From the account told after the dive the problem was the tank was slipping from the bc. So one of the buddies tried to secure the tank. All three were NOT wreck certified and were told by the DM that they should not penetrate. All three divers agreed that they would not penetrate but would stay outside and look around. The buddy said afterwards that he asked her if she was OK just before he started fixing the tank. She was behind, rather than in front, so no one saw her after that. As soon as the tank was fixed they turned around and noticed her missing. They immediately ascended and asked if the DM and/or captain had seen her. At this point the two went back down and searched for 20 minutes.

When they came back on the boat and could not find her the captain called the Coast Gaurd.

From there on a team of 17 lifegaurds completed the search. They found her about 30 yards off the wreck, with a slight amount of water in her tank and approx 2400 psi in her tanks and her reg was out of her mouth..

My guess ( and I repeat it is my guess ) is that based on the limited vis, relatively tough conditions coupled with the relative inexperience she probably got blown off the wreck while the buddies were attending to the tank problem ( for those that haven't been on the Yukon the surge coming over the top of the wreck can be rough ) and she probably kicked pretty hard to get back to her buddies and had a C02 buildup and passed out.. I'm told she was in her early 30's and in pretty good shape, so I doubt it's a heart attack..

Anyway that's what I know and it's based upon my discussion with the crew...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]