Re: Climbing rig isn't a real "chamber"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on January 08, 2001 at 20:22:02:

In Reply to: Do any boats carry portable chambers? posted by ChrisM on January 08, 2001 at 17:10:25:

It's an oxygen tent, not a "compression chamber". And their pretty cheap, assuming you have the 02 bottle handy. The problem there isn't the lack of pressure (although this does do funky things to people. If you've had the RK eye surgery, do *not* attempt high altitude ascents), but of O's. If you'll more closely examine the rig they stuck whoever in, you'll see it's made of plastic, like a tent. It's to combat the symptoms of AMS. In fact, some guys sleep in them to "ward off" AMS, although they're pretty much only screwing up their adjustment to altitude.

While I've never had the pleasure of viewing a *real* deployement, I know a couple of guys who have. The rule of AMS is *descend*, and the tent is a temporary stopgap in the event it isn't possible. There's a name for the rig that escapes me at the moment (I don't have access to my altitude physiology books here at work, and I'm too lazy to do a web search), but it's something simple.

I'm no chamber expert, but wouldn't a portable unit need the ability to house two people? The victim and one rescue personell. It wouldn't seem wise to re-pressurise someone in DCS distress without someone in there. What if they vomited and aspirated while you watched through the little window? Seems to me that would mean a chamber would have to be of a decent size, probably heavy, and not able to simulate great depth. Oh well, a couple of thoughts.

Would a hypalon rig be possible? They pump that stuff up pretty good. Guess the seams would be the real problem. Would suck pretty bad to be in a hypalon chamber when a seal went. Talk about explosive decompression.

JRM

BTW, not that I'll need it anytime soon, but does anyone think I'd be able to change out the valve on my O2 tank for a SCUBA type? I've got it rigged for climbing or emergency use now. Local places don't deal with O2 cleaning, so who would my best bet be when I finally do get around to venturing into the tech realm? They should be somewhat stable, is it will be a few years yet :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]