Re: DIR on the West Coast

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on January 15, 2001 at 15:01:26:

In Reply to: DIR on the West Coast posted by seahunt on January 15, 2001 at 13:16:11:

Seahunt, as you know, I was one of the most strident nay sayers of DIR until I had the chance to meet its local proponants and understand the system itself. I agree with you about computers, consoles, and wrist mounts however.
The reason DIR advocates non-reliance on computers is for the same reason mariners shouldn't rely exclusively on electronics: be able to navigate manually with sextant and almanac.
DIR requires conformity of gear. Two buddies identically equipped are much safer than two with confusingly different assortment of hoses, gauges, octos, etc.
Elements of DIR certainly can be adapted for West Coast diving, especially when it comes to attitude.
You ask in your post:

"what could DIR be adapted to in California without the
corrupting infleunce of its proponents"

IMHO, the only rational way to answer that is to listen to the message of DIR independent of the messengers. Pure DIR is vitally necessary for certain types of advanced technical diving, i.e. deep OE in caves and wrecks.
I look forward to GUE's forthcoming "manual" on DIR for recreations sport diving. Until then, let us not rush to judgement.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]