Re: Why you need dive computers in California-Pushin' the limit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on January 16, 2001 at 15:18:57:

In Reply to: Why you need dive computers in California posted by Chris on January 15, 2001 at 19:27:30:

Hey, Chris;

MHK's not saying don't use a computer, he's saying lots of people don't and have no problem. It just takes greater awareness. He's not suggesting either, I hope, that he's running algorithms continuously in his head. I think he does point out something about planning, however. With a computer, the inclination is to trust the computer. After all, you paid for the bloody thing. But, where does trust turn into blind faith? How much pre-dive planning really goes on when one simply dives to the NDL and then comes up?

You're a hard core bug diver. How often during your bug hunts do you push the NDL's of your computer? With your low consumption and your HP120 I bet you consistently run out of NDL before you run low on gas. Do you pad the hang when you push it or just follow what the device is telling you? Is your first dive of the day always your deepest? On one of your multi-day bug trips where you're in the water from 7am to 10pm doing seven dives a day for three to four days straight swimmin' hard & grabbin' bugs have you ever used a Doppler at the end of the trip? You see where I'm going with this, I know. For those who don't, however, computers don't get bent. Computer wearers do. Diving the computer at the expense of listening to your body, literally as well as figuratively, is playing roulette with your body and brain.

Best regards,

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]