Drysuit and LED

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brianc on February 15, 2001 at 09:07:11:

In Reply to: Re: Another nice story, but... posted by seahunt on February 14, 2001 at 19:51:24:

Sometimes I just can't help teasing SoCal divers who talk about cold water - it's my evil side rearing it's head. Up here my regular buddies think it's paradise when the water hits 53. Of course in South Florida, my buddies stop diving when the water goes below 72...
My drysuit is an OS Systems SARR. That's their rescue model - I got a deal, less than cost! It's a coated fabric suit with an extra layer of cordura on the lower half and more protection on the knees. Anything that punctured that suit would probably go through my body. I've taken a few major falls on rocks at slippery entrance points with no damage to the suit. An urchin spine would break off before it punctured the suit.
I know what you mean about worrying that you'll feel seperated from the water. I had the same concern, but found that not to be the case. It took about 10 dives to get used to the suit. Now I wouldn't think of wearing a wetsuit in anything less than 75.

My LED puts out a white light. At least that's what the literature says. It looks slightly purplish to me. It's a small light that uses 3 C cells. The output is not high enough to use it as a primary. My buddy and I were experimenting using different lights for night videos. That's why I was playing with the different lights. Colors look nicer with the LED, but it was not bright enough to use for video. The reaction of the fish was a surprise. My incandesant seemed to wake them up, while the LED did not disturb them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]