macro vs. micro bubbles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on February 19, 2001 at 15:02:25:

In Reply to: Re: slow ascent rate posted by John Walker on February 19, 2001 at 11:15:15:

John, I appreciate your comments. I am trying to become a student of deco theory, and have read as much as I can get my hands on.

I understand that the micro, or silent, bubbles are almost always present. Several authors I have read have indicated that micro-bubbles probably increase off-gassing, as they are filtered out by the lungs. I guess that should read: some degree of micro-bubbles is beneficial.

That's the great part about western science and theories in general: everyone can argue. My memory is really shot today, but I believe there is an axiom about modeling complexity. Something along the lines of "impossible to correctly and accurately model anything in the real universe, because of the complexities involved. All models, by definition, must simplify complex systems." And of course, the detractors can generally find that one case where your simplification assumptions are deterministic to the outcome. This is especially true if your detractors are sitting on your review board (everyone together now: %#*@^# boundary conditions!)

I feel for guys like BW who are trying to push new models. Inertia in culture and all.

JRM

-- I just got a call from a dive friend who wanted to invite me to go diving this weekend. He got invited to go on this great trip to Santa Cruz Island. I asked where he was staying, and the answer was "with someones friend". "Wait a second, with someone's in-laws?" "Yeah." "Hmmm, those are *my* in-laws. That's the trip I planned." Now I have to call my in-laws and let them know that there will be no less than 12 folks (some tenting it in their backyard). And I thought my mother-in-law had it in for me now. We darn well better be bringing some lobster back with us on Saturday night!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]