Re: Deep stops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on February 21, 2001 at 13:30:42:

In Reply to: Deep stops posted by Eins on February 21, 2001 at 12:13:08:

Eins:

The RGBM does allow for deep stops, and in fact gives more credit than older algorithms for off-gassing time spent at lesser depths or en route to the surface. However, I am not aware of any simple formula that will indicate at what depth this will occur on any specific dive. My understanding is that this is a calculation made by the computer during each dive. The Suunto computers that incorporate these formulae refer the point at which certain tissues in the body are no longer absorbing Nitrogen, or are beginning to off-gas, as the "decompression floor." As I'm sure you are aware, the Vyper (like the Cobra that I have been diving with for the last year) indicates this depth using the opposing vertical arrows and the ceiling indicator in the upper right of the read-out. If during your deep stops, the computer indicates that you are still increasing your decompression obligation, you obviously have to move to shallower depths before your first stop.

If I recall correctly, on relatively deep dives the "decompression floor" will be as deep as 70-80 fsw. Of course, this is constantly changing during the dive. If you come up from, say 130+ fsw to that point, you will be above the "decompression floor," but if you stay at that depth for long enough, the floor will change and you will have to ascend to shallower depths before the computer will indicate you are no longer increasing your decompression obligation.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but my experience seemed to differ from yours so I wanted to compare my notes with you. Good luck.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]