Re: How do you handle it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 26, 2001 at 17:16:30:

In Reply to: How do you handle it? posted by Wayne on February 26, 2001 at 16:53:23:

I realized after re-reading your post that I didn't fully answer all your questions..

One that is important to answer is about a non-tech DM supervising a tech dive..

Without trying to sound condescending, but my feeling is that tech diver's are more highly trained than most recreational diver's and understand more so than a typical recreational diver the consequences of screwing up. Frankly, on most of the tech diving boats I'm on the tech diver relies very little, if any, on a DM. In all candor a DM, may help you in and out of your rig and/or assist in emergency efforts. In the case of an emergency the treatment is basically the same, 02, hydrate, evac, CPR if necessary, so I don't have that big of a problem with a *recreational* DM supervising a tech diver. Furthermore, if you had a tech diver that needed assiatnce with tables, or mixes ( ie; MOD's ) I wouldn't be on the boat with him in the first place... If you don't know this stuff and need a DM to tell it to you before you get in the water, then you have no business doing that kind of diving...

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the thruth...

As for grabbing the wrong tank on a boat, if marked properly I simply don't see that as an issue. If you ever see our tanks they are CLEARLY labeled, they have our name on them and in big letter's have the MOD on the side of the tanks. Furthermore, on the neck of the tanks we have the gas, the 02 psi, the He psi and the air psi in addition to the 02 % in bigger letters.....

Hopefully that more fully answers the question...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]