Re: Solo Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 13, 2001 at 09:26:18:

In Reply to: Re: Solo Diving posted by Steve on March 13, 2001 at 08:51:04:

Steve,

You make some fair points and as a guy that used to solo alot I recognize the issue. It just seems strange that given the year that we had last year that diver's would embrace this medium..

I am fully aware that there are some that are going to solo irrespective of what is posted on this list, irrespective of what any agency does or doesn't do, those are just the facts..

But what is really scary about some of the latest moved by some of the agencies is the willingness to venture into previously taboo areas coupled with the historical precedent with respect to watering down standards, passing sub-standard students and simply selling a c-cards. That was a sad and potentially hazardous gameplan when we were talking about OW divers at 60', the risk increase exponentially when they start certifying deep air and solo using the same loose standards..

Advocating a dangerous practice for the purposes of profit motivation should not be condoned, particularly in light of Gilliam's questionable past, his reckless endevours underwater, and his articles that talk about having a few beers before a dive.. Even if I accept all the premises that you set forth, Gilliam is NOT the guy to be leading this charge...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]