Re: In Memoriam: Mia Jean Tegner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on March 17, 2001 at 08:52:25:

In Reply to: Re: In Memoriam: Mia Jean Tegner posted by jr gordon on March 16, 2001 at 19:35:17:

"I'm embarassed to say that it was so easy to forget the 12 deaths we had here in SoCal last year."

Don't be imbarassed you're not the one who sweeps these things under the carpet, on the contrary you have raised issues we can debate.

Mia's death is tragic, a scientist giving her life to help preserve for future generation what some enjoy but most abuse and take for granted. I have the unmost respect for her mission.

In Mia's case does anyone know what her dive profile was and if she was into a manditory decompression status? It was her decision to get another tank and descend, but was it for a missed safety stop or what? Could she have done "surface decompression" on pure oxygen and accomplished the same thing? Or was the safety stop unnecessary?

"Is anybody listening yet?"

Yes I think so. I have made some changes in my setup because of some of the discussions. I have been borrowing an Aladin air/x and I added a small pony bottle. I have never run out of air or even come close but the computer does have the added safety feature for low on air.

Jr Gordon, these twelve deaths that you mention could any of them been saved with these two added gear items. They don't seem to slow me down but add a measure of safety that feels right.

Steve

"Is anybody listening yet?"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]