Diving and Morguntrality?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on April 09, 2001 at 16:16:34:

In Reply to: Small Boat To The CHannel Islands... Usual length posted by seahunt on April 09, 2001 at 10:55:26:

Great reading as usual. I especially enjoyed the parts about passing those container ships! They look like they are not moving , but get near one...

So few divers have actually piloted a boat in the ocean when the shore is no longer in sight. It can be exciting. Now with GPS replacing LORAN, it is easier and easier to get around the islands. But the ocean is still as unforgiving as ever and those who cannot safely ply these waters with only a compass can find themselves in a world of hurt when the electronics die!

I was thinking that after we are all through the "learning curve" of boating, we should eliminate the computerized navagation equipment. After all it is more stuff that can break and proper planning and piloting eliminates the need for it. It is called D.R. Dead Reckoning. If we all equip our boats the same way so any of us would be comfortable stepping to the helm, head or galley, of another boat, it would make make boating Intuitive. Then we would be Dead Intuitive Reckoning (D.I.R.)

So everyone please equip your boats just like mine. If it is not a SeaRay, sell it in Ebay. Let's all become D.I.R. Drivers!

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]