Navigation and DIW

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JStone on April 09, 2001 at 18:57:23:

In Reply to: Diving and Morguntrality? posted by Wayne on April 09, 2001 at 16:16:34:

I've taken basic coastal I and II as well as celestial and GPS courses through Orange Coast College. I've been sailing around the Channel Islands for several years now on a variety of boats. I'm no expert but, one of the fundamental things to remember is to not rely exculsively on any one source of navigation data. One should check position frequently and cross reference with multiple data sources. DR is of little value when your GPS dies and you don't have a DR track or have otherwise recorded your position. The philosophy that was adopted by DIR applies to many other activities (perhaps life in general). How many people have you seen going out in boats armed with a cell phone and a hand held GPS thinking they're invincible . . . serious DIW. Not related to navigation but to "knuckleheads at sea" in general: I heard a MAY DAY a couple weeks ago. After the Coast Guard extracted the basics from the guy (vessel and position information) he proceeded to tell the CG that he couldn't get his engine started. The only "immediate danger" was the guys skull imploding for lack of grey matter . . . . ok "educated" grey matter.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]