Re: Finally, a straight response

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on May 03, 2001 at 18:19:06:

In Reply to: Finally, a straight response posted by seahunt on May 03, 2001 at 17:43:43:

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by seahunt on May 03, 2001 at 17:43:43:

My questions, never answered after the demo, is do you use a recording depth
guage to do it... and do you then plug the value into a surface computer for
calculations.

I posted this answer several times!!!!!!

OK, listen.. It's 6:15 and I've got a 7:00 dinner with a client.. I'm going to try this one more time and if you still don't understand the basics than seriously you will need to see Walker for a class..

While he and I may bite your head off on the list, our goal is to educate, and Walker is really a nice guy IRL and he's a helluva instructor.. And we leave the ego's at the dock when we get into this stuff...

Let's assume for a minute I can back up the answers with calculations. I'll provide all the algorithms you want, but the ENTIRE POINT that you keep missing, is that we do NOT preform complicated calculations..

We do pay attention to our suuroundings during a dive: Now, what does that mean?? Simple, we look at our wrist mounted Uwatec depth gauge. This isn't a complicated thing to do since if you are using proper trim your hands are right in front of you anyway so all you need to do is glance at your wrist..

I've said often that I think the problem you are having is fundamental. And I'm not flaming you. What I mean is that decompression theory ( or the other way to say that is computing No Decompression Limits (NDL)) is NOT an exact science. That is primary why is is referred to as decompression THEORY. Accordingly, from what I can tell you keep asking us to give a calculation performed underwater that will coincide with one of your computers. We don't do that.

What we do is we spend some time getting familiar with the tables, in other words, much like they taught when you 1st learned to dive, not this watered down PADI crap that they are selling now..

So for example we know that we could spend about 20 minutes at 100', but let's assume that you spend 10 @ 100' and then ascend to 80'. Well we know we can spend about 30 minutes, but rather than do any complex calculations underwater we would simply assume that we were at 90'. At 90' we could stay for about 25 minutes.. We then build a few deep stops in along the way and there you have it...

Bear in mind that is a very brief overview but if you can't follow that line of thinking then I'm serious when I say that I'm not sure I can help anymore absent a refresher class respecting deco THEORY....

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]