Re: Ready to take the plunge into BP & wings - How??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RobertM on May 10, 2001 at 14:22:57:

In Reply to: Ready to take the plunge into BP & wings - How?? posted by ChrisM on May 10, 2001 at 12:31:01:

Chris,

I think you are overestimating your weight needs with a backplate. I dive SoCal with a 6.5mm wetsuit and a HP100 (hey, it's neutral empty!). I needed 22lb on the weight belt with my Scubapro Classic. With the SS backplate I dropped a full 12lb, down to a 5lb weight in each ACB pocket. Given that the plate is around -6lb, it is obvious I had a lot of air trapping going on. You might well find the same thing.

As far as the long hose conversion, I'd say bite the bullet and switch now. I borrowed a SS backplate and a wing from MHK last year, and dove it with standard hose setup. Didn't work worth a damn, with no decent place to clip off the "octo". The long hose and necklace are a bit different to deal with getting in and out of your gear, but dive very nicely indeed.

I hated the way the Classic always was shifting around. The backplate makes diving so much more comfortable it is ridiculous. You'll love it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]