Re: can't disagree /w/ that

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on May 15, 2001 at 18:04:25:

In Reply to: I do not agree posted by Wayne on May 15, 2001 at 15:08:30:

yeah, plaigarism is a BIG no-no!

and hypotheses are cheap, much like talk while experimental evidence is hard-won only through time-consuming data collection, number crunching and that doesn't even address peer review.

One of the problems /w/ biology though, is that as i was conducting my master's research, i kept running into phenomena and findings that defied the textbooks. It is one thing to oversimplify something for public consumption (the information is good enough for whom it's for) but it is another thing to conduct ground-breaking research on simplistic text-book assumptions. Time after time, myself and other researchers run into this problem, especially when working with complex systems (ecosystems, physiologies etc).

Anything can be explained, but people are somewhat averse to multiple causalities and multiple consequences and cascades of probablistic interactions, each of which could have different outcomes which in turn, can lead to still different consequences five steps down the road. Such is the case with individual genetic constitutions, which can give rise to individual differences in anatomies/physiologies, which mean different people react in different ways to an air dive to 180 fsw, or 40 years of air diving to 90 fsw, or even Nitrox, cold or CO2 loading.

plasma cutting eh? i have a SS backplate that needs just four more little slots in it : )

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]