Picking a BC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on June 05, 2001 at 16:58:57:

In Reply to: Balance BC posted by jamie on June 05, 2001 at 15:44:04:

I make the assumption that you have a divestore you frequent. Make sure you ask them a lot of questions and see if you can try one on and see how it "feels" to dive in rather than in the store. And make sure you are wearing your exposure suit when you try it! In my garage I have a bunch of old gear including such items as an old seaquest back BC that is pinched between the tank and the hard backplate with a Stainless Steel tank band that does a great job. It uses webbing to hold it on the diver. It is about 20 years old. I used to have an AT-PAC that was similar with the weight channel. These are back buoyancy things all too much like these "new fangled wings" I guess good ideas keep coming back). I also have a fleet of jacket style BCs. So I have dove with both.

Some here will tell you that you "have" to get a particular style because you will end up getting it eventually. I disagree. There are almost as many suitable gear configurations as there are divers and dive activities. I have always used a BC (except when I have had a BC failure and it became temporary dead weight), but there are hardcore hunters who shy away from them. Different strokes for different folks not that kind of "stroke"). I think BC choice is a personal choice like religion or politics. It needs to fit you and you need to feel right about it. Don't pick it to impress the divemaster.

My suggestion is to talk to your local diveshop and get them to allow you to wear several styles in the pool and see which ones you like. Some frequent posters here have demo gear they will allow you to try. Take them up on it and see if they work well for you. It should feel like part of you and you should be able to forget it is even there. Choose wisely because if you do, you will have many years of service from this piece of gear. You need to like the feel and comfort.

I like jacket style more than web straps. I like the lift to be primarily from behind and never in front by my shoulders. I like trim weight pockets. I found a BC that exactly suits me and feels perfect, but many other divers would not like it. It is really a personal choice. Make sure its releases and weight stuff are easy to explain to your buddy, too! You will need to brief him/her on how to work it before diving. And do not forget to familiarize yourself with each buddies gear before every dive.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]