Re: Golden Days of Cailifornia Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Timotheus on June 08, 2001 at 15:58:44:

In Reply to: Re: Golden Days of Cailifornia Diving posted by Max Bottomtime on June 07, 2001 at 17:44:50:

The day I was there, I think my dad said we had to move on because a cop was giving out parking tickets.

Another thing I remember is how at Bluff Cove, where we often entered the water at the end of the long diagonal trail into the head of the cove, a large rock right below the tide line used to be covered with 5 to 6" black abs. I went back to the same place in the 1980's and they were all gone. We had friends who said that you could walk out on the San Pedro breakwater from Cabrillo Beach and easily find black abs at low tide. Sure would be neat to see them return.

Just thought of something else about diving in the early 70's and before - the bottom seemed to have a lot more shells of different types. Now, all I see are large Wavy Turbans and Norris tops on kelp, even on the more remote islands. I have seen some green abs at Anacappa, which is encouraging.

Seems like the shallow water (about 15') had a lot of green surf grass. I haven't done any shore diving in CA lately - is it still there? Don't see it much at the Channel Islands.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]