YUKON DIVE REPORT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on June 11, 2001 at 11:40:58:

I dove the Yukon on Saturday, the wreck is just starting to show signs of marine growth. Calico Bass have started to take up positions in spots and its nice to see it will soon be a full fledged artifical reef.

Water was cold at depth, about 48 degrees, and it seemed even colder deep down inside the wreck. I made two technical penetrations with my buddy. We are gearing up for an August expedition to the Empress of Ireland in Qubec, Canada and wanted to work on our line skills and communication skills. ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

The first penetration was down six decks into the small Ammunition Storage Bays located under the Forward Fire Control room. Creepy, dark and silent, this room used to hold 188 rounds of high explosive shells. Its very small and very tight in there.

On my second dive I was able to explore the tranny room and the engine room, both large expansive rooms that are two decks tall and the width of the ship's beam at the water line. Its very sp[ooky this deep to see the exit holes I cut out now filled with sand as that side of the ship is laying on the bottom.

I was greatly concerned on my first dive when I ran across two divers inside the wreck without backup lights, running no reels and without any redundant air supply. They were separated by 20 feet just outside the ambiant light and were both kicking their fins in a very desprate fashion. Silt was flying everwhere. I actually had to go the more paniced diver and hold his fins together and told him to calm down, then I pointed the way out. As I tightend the diver's weight belt buckle ( it was 50% open and he was just about to loose it )he swam down toward the Burma Road. I resumed my penetration as I watched both divers exit the wreck banging their fins and tanks on ever piece of metal they could. What they were doing inside was beyond my wildest comprehension.

On my second dive I was moving past the cluster of divers at 15 feet from my 20 foot stop to my 10 foot stop and noticed one diver having trouble keeping the reg in his mouth. After I lifted his cylinder from beneath his legs and inserted it back into his BC strap I was able to get a look at his SPG. He was at 300 PSI.

I had a really great time. I was like a kid in a candy store exploring that wreck.

But I gotta admit I sit here at my desk on Monday morning and wonder what the heck is going on with dive training and personal responsibility these days. I will leave out the name of the Dive Club as I don't want to embarras any specific group or store. I sure would like to see more people being safer on that wreck.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]