I think we agree that there is a problem...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on June 18, 2001 at 16:34:02:

In Reply to: Re: My thoughts posted by MHK on June 18, 2001 at 15:43:26:

It is the solution that evades us. I fully agree that the c-cards need to expire without some sort of effort. Proof of experience or re-certification would do. The genie is out of the bottle on quickie certifications and now we have to find a way to improve the overall quality of diver training.

As I think back to my first certification in '75, we took a long time, we swam a great deal (laps before each confined water session), we did stupid drills that made us much more familiar with our gear, etc. But when I first dove on my own, I did not have good skills, but knew what to work on. I think this is the case now, too.

We dive in a dangerous place. Much more dangerous that a clear water resort. Based on that it is important that we get trained on how to survive here. But the solution has to include experience overlayed with classroom learning. While I admit the present system is not perfect, it is not all that bad either.

Serious divers will naturally gravitate towards advanced training and activities. Resort divers will still be taken on supervised tours. I think the real issue is that the entry level training needs to be sold as what it is -- entry level equipment usage. Then additional training to become a safe, qualified diver is required.

And maybe that is where the real changes need to be. Instead of ADVENTURES IN DIVING, maybe we need to have real advancement courses to take a diver into the skills and knowledge needed to be a proficient diver.

But I think we also need to accept the fact that some people will always be lame. I dove with a coworker recently who was the lamest guy in the water I have ever seen. We did some buoyancy drills and he could hover if he gave it is full attention. But as soon as we moved, he was dragging or floating away and totally clueless as to the cause of his problem. He is an engineer with advanced degrees and clearly smart enough to learn, but he just does not get it. And when he was trying to use a compass and swim a straight line I used a ton of air laughing in the reg.

I have also dove with newbies who just "get it" and have only to be shown how to do it and from then on they are always polishing thier skills on every dive. We have to have a place in the ocean for each of them and those in the middle. Maybe the GUE version of instruction is the way to go. Adventures for the vacation divers, and GUE for the hardcore? Might work. But there will still be people who do stupid dives and kill themselves. No amount of training and lecturing will stop people from endangering themselves. And some will enjoy activities that are more dangerous than the norm -- like solo hunting at night -- and they do it with both eyes open and accepting the risks. Whether we like it or not it will happen. As long as that is their idea of fun, they will do it and if we make it against the law, they will do it unlawfully. So the solution must include trying to help them to see the light or help them to reduce the inheirent hazards of their practices.

And yes, I hope to dive with you. I think it would be a lot of fun. If my &%$(*! boat is ever back in the water, I will have to come to Avalon when you are there. Just don't laugh at the age of some of my gear. After all, if I didn't have such a BIG diveknife, I might need to adjust my trim weighting (Just kidding).

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]