Re: Is ParkwayScuba T2 7mm Semi Dry a good suit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on June 20, 2001 at 09:22:53:

In Reply to: Is ParkwayScuba T2 7mm Semi Dry a good suit posted by Stephane on June 19, 2001 at 21:11:30:

Well, first I must chuckle at the term "semi-dry suit." There's no such thing. Either you're wet or dry.

More important than the "brand" of any suit you buy is the fit. If you're going to be spending $300+, you really should be able to get the suit customized.

As such I would recommend the XCell line. I have an XCell 6 mil, and I often spend extended periods of time freediving up in NorCal in it. I've never had cold issues.

My wife dives the 7.5mil, and her suit was custom built (at no additional cost). Most of the people I dive with who dive wet all dive the XCell. It really is a great suit.

And I wouldn't get all up in arms about Titanium(it isn't really), or any other marketing hype.

Here's what I would look for in a wetsuit:

1. Fit. There shouldn't be any sags or baggy areas.
2. Integrated Hood. A must in the colder water. A decent face seal is nice, too.
3. Seals. The seals should fit you well enough that your movements don't allow water flow.

Visit a couple of different shops and try a bunch of the suits on. See if you can rent/try one before you buy. And be sure to ask, whatever suit you pick, if the store/factory/third party will tailor it to fit you.

And in the second part of your question, yes you can dive with the hood pushed back. Depending on the suit it can allow water flow, though. I've gotten hot a couple of times, and here's what I recommend. Instead of flipping the hood all the way off, just break the seal and vent seawater through it occasionally. That way you can stay comfortable and not risk losing too much heat.

JRM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]