Where is all that engineer brilliance?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JohnB on June 25, 2001 at 23:02:02:

In Reply to: Re: Some after thoughts from a fatality.. posted by seahunt on June 25, 2001 at 13:26:18:

Seahunt...I have no doubt that you are very more experienced and probably of higher IQ than myself but I think you just like to be contrary no matter what the cost is to your credibility. Come on, can that reply and some of the others be serious? I may be stepping right into a pile of "it" but I am driven to respond to that one (others too but this will be enuff for tonight I hope).
#1) Guideline - Guideline, always use a continuous guideline
This can only apply to Wreck/cave, Not Rec.
WRONG! This applies to ANY low vis or occasion where the return path MUST be the same. It HAPPENS IN OW ! Not always but it DOES happen! why not be ready for it, a small spool will work.
#2) Air - Air supply, always use rule of 1/3's
I thought this was for OE, Not Rec... unless you consider kelp to be OE.
WRONG! This applies to any UNDERWATER situation. why can't you start back at 1/3? no one said get out of the water at 1/3! if you find yourself nearing the end of a dive and have 1000psi or more left and there is a safe and clear exit available then adjust the haste of your exit accordingly! I have watched teams with a lot of air left, just explore around the shallows of a Lagoon or in a Cenote and use up some more gas when they KNEW there would be no emergency need for the air. They actually exited the water with 500psi or less but they were out of any situation that might require an air reserve.
#3) Lights - Always use primary plus 2 back ups..
That again sounds like OE.
WRONG! I am sure that most people can figure this applies to D A R K situations besides DIR config leaves those backups "invisible" to the diver unless needed.
Also, just to clarify...
#4) Depth - Never exceed your comfort level with respect to depth
Shouldn't that be comfort level or safe depth.
WRONG! Your version "Comfort level OR safe depth" says that no matter how uncomfortable as long as someone said its safe, go ahead with the dive. WAYY bad, i.e. equalization for one! In your statement you would have the divers continue to their "safe" depth even though one of the party had not cleared in 60ft!
"Never exceed your comfort level with respect to depth":
States that any depth that is not comfortable is too deep. Comfort can mean training level, experience, pain, anxiety, many things, but the individual knows when they are NOT comfortable and if they are not, it is time to let the others know and go to a comfortable level, respecting offgassing requirements.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]