Re: Thanks Bill....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 26, 2001 at 21:46:04:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks Bill.... posted by MHK on June 26, 2001 at 10:49:03:

>.. It has been well established that you are WAY out of your league talking about RBCR issues..
Well, that's why I don't talk about it. You may not be aware of how this disussion started, but JW emailed me about something BillP posted. I said what and sent BillP an email asking if there was something new. He replied no, not since his 6/4/01 post. I passed that on to JW. JW posted again here and BillP replied with no prompting from me.
Really, it's a rather esoteric subject, so I stay out of it. At the same time, as JW mentions below, it is known that there can be bone degeneration in long term professional divers, apparently a cumulitive effect of deep diving. Aside from that, I have heard of no long term health problems, known or suspected, in divers, related to depth. You say there is, but your evidense is extremely scant, one autopsy. As you mention, the scientific community does not accept your position presently.
Then there is the matter of depth. Well, the graphs that might clarify that are missing. I would like to see them and see what they suggest about the effect at sport diving depths. My guess is that the effect rises sharply with depth which might show the effect irrelevant at sport diving depths.
In any case, don't you think somebody would have already noticed this in professional deep divers if it was important at sport diving depths? If it doesn't appear there, I don't expect it to appear at sport depths... details. details.
As for scare tactis. Wasn't it the DIR crowd that keeps that list of all diving fatalities and used to love posting it? Don't you capitalize on just about every fatality to promote DIR? Those are scare tactics. You regularly use them to persuade people to inrease their safety practices. If you deny using scare tctics, then you deny one of the main reasons you tell people that they should go DIR.
So I have reason to believe that this is just another typical DIR scare tactic and not a real problem. Keep working on it and maybe you'll get proof, but I like to use science and you guys show only limited talent for that.
>you believe it doesn't apply to our diving environment*..
Not when you post about using a line, three lights, thirds etc. That is simply not California diving. I think that DIR in general is a good idea, but your claim that it needs no adaptation to local conditions makes me critisize you when you make statements that apply to cave and wreck and that are generally irrelevant to California Sport Diving. Walker is talking about DPV's. I've seen only one of those on a boat and it was used by a person without leg use. Really, DPV's, Guide Lines, etc are irrelevant to California Sport Diving. You may like the idea of them, but a lot of people like SUV's for commuting too.
You guys are basically completely down on the idea of sport diving just being a casual, safe, extremely satisfying sport. It's not near as dangerous as you like to make out and I get sick of you doing anything you can to replace California Sport Diving with Florida Cave Diving. Hey, offer your ideas to the local community, but don't even bother to tell me I don't know how to dive... Oh that's right, I'm over weighted... and you want me to take you seriously!
There is an old community that has been developing for a long time. It is based on honesty, courtesy and cooperation. Some people refer to it as a Christian philosophy. I think of it as civilized behavior. You have said that DIR supercedes these civilized standrds and demonstrated that belief on this board by harassment. It's not unique to you and I have seen the post by El Buzo Viejo (I think) that explained this harassment from a DIR point of view and he apologized for it.
I frankly don't give a hoot about your diving methods, no matter how good, if you refuse to be a member of the civilized community I work to preserve and promote.
By the way, DIR basically sucks as a method for effective hunting, a popular pass time for California divers. You get all bent out of shape any time I mention adapting DIR to local diving instead of adapting local diving to DIR. Aside from that, it sounds like a fairly good idea as I have repeatedly stated. It's a common DIR presentation method I object to.
Ya know, you put in writing that using doubles create less drag than a dive console. .... Do you wonder that I doubt some of your other claims?
I'm not to keen on the unsubstantiated stories you make up about me either.
Enjoy, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]